Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weekend Update

Friday: I went into Pusan with 4 other participants to apply for our F4 Visa. As Korean adoptees we are given a special visa. We waited a long time, but Jihye said it was nothing compared to the last time; she was there all day. After we completed everything there, we went to lunch. I ordered bibimbap, which is just rice and vegetables with a spicy sauce. The ride back took about 45 minutes and we were running late, so I went to our writing class a few minutes late. In the evening, we decided to go out to the "개집" (Dog House) which is a bar near campus. After a while there, some of the group wanted to go meet up with a few others who had already left for Pusan. However, it takes such a long time to get there, most of the group shot the idea down. We ended up going to another place and playing some games there.
Yay Immigration Office!

Bibimbap

 Today: I met with my host family. Mr. Im picked me up and took me to his house. We had some noodles for lunch. I played and read with his son while we waited for his daughter to return from volunteer work with her school (she just entered middle school). Then we went to a mountain. The main 'attraction' of this place is the birthplace and home of the previous president. The president committed suicide a few years ago, but there is a big memorial set up in memory of him. We hiked for maybe an hour to an hour and a half. After our hike we looked at a museum of belongings of the president. Then we went to dinner near Inje University. We had galbi (meat) and samgypsal (pork). 

View looking down (only part way up the mountain)

Pretty yellow flower buds

Rhododendron

Napdong River-important in Korean War history

Beautiful mountains

Host sister and brother


Galbi

Samgypsal

1 comment:

  1. All I can think of when I see Korean meals is how annoying it must be to clean 50 little white bowls each night... Then again, I have trouble cleaning one plate after dinner, so I might be biased!

    ReplyDelete