Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cold Snap!

Brrrr! It has gotten cold again! We're back in the 40's which doesn't sound too bad, but it is quite windy. I can hardly wait for spring (well, I probably actually mean summer...) weather!!

We had another conversation class this morning. It is the 'intermediate' class and it is fairly challenging. The textbook/workbook we are using does not have any English in it. I can read the dialogs, but do not necessarily know what I am ready. It is interesting flip flopping between this class and the more basic conversation class-the books are so drastically different. However, I'm enjoying the opportunity to learn and practice as much Korean as I can. In Culture class we learned about the different holidays in Korea. There are a bunch of unofficial holidays young adults celebrate that are very funny. They all occur on the 14th of every month. The first one in January is called "Diary Day" and couples buy each other planners and write important events down in them and exchange them. Valentine's Day is a little different; the girls buy chocolates for the guys and that's about it. March 14 (just a few days ago) was "White Day"; boys buy the girls candy. I won't go into all of them, but April 14 is called "Black Day". This 'holiday' is for all the singles to eat black foods, particularly a Chinese black noodle dish. It goes on and on; they are kind of funny.

After class, Emily and I studied a little. Then I went with Jihye to meet my host father. He isn't able to attend the orientation/party this evening. He is a professor of Japanese Language and Literature. He doesn't speak much English, but his daughter knows a fair amount. She is 12-14 years old. He has a son who is 5ish. They live in Kimhae. I am going to meet his family on Saturday.  

We went to dinner and then the orientation thing. Tim and I left early because we didn't have any family there and felt a little awkward. When I returned, Maren called me and told me everyone was going out with their 'families' (it was really just one person for everyone) and I was welcome to join. So we went out to a restaurant called Kong Bul. They serve SPICY pork and bean sprouts dish. I ate sooo much! Buuuut...Maren had to say "even though I'm really full, ice cream sounds really good!" So Maren, Emily, Milan and I went to Lotteria for 500W ice cream cones. 


Tomorrow we are going to Gyeongju for Membership Training with English Town. We're spending the night there so updates to follow in a few days!

Before being cooked

Finished product

Ice cream to cool off our stomachs! Maren, Milan, Emily and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment