Monday, March 21, 2011

Catch Up Day!

Friday: Our music teacher had a meeting so Jihye was our teacher for the day. We had a shortened class which was nice, but we will be making it up on Thursday. Between 12 and 3 we could not be in ET because they were disinfecting all the rooms in the building. During that time, Emily and I went for a run and then lifted a little in the gym with Maren. We had our writing class and then dinner. At 5:30 we met up by the school buses to leave for Gyeongju for Membership Training (MT). There were a total of 6 people in my group; I knew one from my ET group and the other from soccer and other friends. We had to come up with a 'team' name and a cheer or slogan. We decided to go with "namja set, yeoja set" which means "3 men and 3 women". It was based off of a Korean TV show copying "Friends". And our cheer was "i jo washong" which just means here's group one. I got a little motion sick on the ride over and slept most of the hour and 15 bus ride. We stayed at kind of a campground in Gyeongju, except we had buildings to sleep in, not tents. The building our group rented was one big building, but it was split in half-one side for the guys separated by a wall with the girls on the other side. We also luckily had bathrooms-with running water! :) We started the evening by introducing ourselves and our groups. Then we just played a bunch of games and team building kind of activities. After the games, we all went over to the guy's side and had fried chicken, snacks and beverages. We played more games and enjoyed getting to know everyone.


Team Pyun Ohk, Magnus and Jenny!
Games


Saturday: We had breakfast at a cafeteria on the grounds where we were staying. Then we played MORE games outside. The best was a relay race where our teams had to wear a few items like a wig or a hat plus a cape or a bag. In addition we had to have a balloon in between our legs!! It was funny to watch everyone stumbling around the 'race track' they made. We took a group picture and then pictures with our small groups. Lunch was the cafeteria food again and then we had free time for a few hours. Our 'campsite' was right next to Gyeongju World, which is a small amusement park. We mostly just walked around looking at everything. Most of the group went on a roller coaster ride but Jenny, Emily and I sat out and held everyone's belongings. We left around 2:45 and arrived on campus around 4. My host family was having me over for dinner and I was getting picked up at 5:30. I laid down for a little because I got motion sick again. I also went to dinner for a little snack in case my family served me seafood! ;)

My host dad (Mr. Im) came to pick me up with his 3 year old son. He is so cute! He reminds me a LOT of my little friend Jaebin, especially when Jaebin was that age. My host family lives about 10 minutes away from campus. We had chapchae (my favorite!), bulgogi, cheon (kind of like pancake with vegetables and either mushrooms or maybe oysters...I couldn't figure out which), and a couple different kinds of kimchi. After dinner, Mr. Im and his daughter taught me how to play "ung nori". We played a few rounds while his wife prepared dessert-strawberries, oranges, oreo type cookies, and Japanese rice cake type of cookies. Then we played ung nori on teams. After playing a few rounds, we then had Jujube tea and a cake-bread that was really good. I showed them some pictures of family and friends back home on my camera. Mr. Im wanted to show me pictures of his family too, so we watched a slide show on their TV. Around 9:30 Mr. Im and his daughter drove me back to ET. 
Team Namja Set, Yeoja Set

Maren, Jenny, Emily and me!

So cute! Love these girls!

L to R: Jenny, Emily, Magnus, me, Joakim, and "Josh"

Joakim and Magnus with their new pets at Gyeongju World



Random bunny at Gyeongju World!

Dinner at the Im's
Mr. Im and his daughter making the ung nori board

Dessert 1: Strawberries and cookies

Mr. Im, his wife and son playing

No comments:

Post a Comment