Saturday, June 18, 2011

Long day in Seoul!

What a day! I walked to the Express Bus Terminal (about 3 subway stops distance) because last summer Min Kyung and I did some good shopping there...I arrived only to discover that the shopping is also (Gangnam underground shopping area is under construction) under construction and there weren't many shops! :( So sad. I took the subway to the area to meet up with Tim and Kim. We went to see the Seodaemun Prison. It was a prison for Korean nationals who resisted the Japanese and tried to revolt/uprisings during Japanese occupation. It reminded me a lot of when I visited Dachau in Germany. It was pretty sad, but also an interesting part of Korean history to learn about. Independence Park was also surrounding the prison, so we kind of walked around there a little. Tim went back to his hostel to try and find his brother while Kim and I went to the Sinchon area early- we were meeting Megan and Milan for dinner shortly afterward. We went to a BBQ place for dinner and then walked to Hongik University area. I decided to come back a little bit earlier because I didn't want to go out and I was quite tired from all the walking I did during the day.   
Entrance to Seodaemun Prison
A memorial hall filled with the entry cards of 5,000 prisoners

Prison Hall

In one of the cells looking out

No comments:

Post a Comment