Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Falling Behind!

I must apologize to all my dedicated readers! The semester is almost done so I am crazy-busy with homework, papers, lesson planning, and spending as much time as possible with my friends that I will be leaving, so I've neglected my blog quite a bit!

Thursday: I had my conversation class with Jihye in the morning, but our afternoon culture class was canceled due to the festival on campus. After class, Emily and I went for a run in the gym because it was rainy and cool; there were also tents set up on the main stretch of campus which would have made it difficult to run around. Emily came with me to my class again. We had to move my class up a little because we were having a Farewell Party for all the International students. After class, we went to the party. Inje students performed for us; the performances ranged from singing to dancing to taekwondo. We were also awarded certificates of completion of the program. We went to dinner, but it was just one of those meals you looked at and thought "BioTech, really? Really? What is this?" So we went to a little restaurant that serves bibimbap (rice, vegetables, egg and pepper sauce) and hand rolled and cut noodle soup. You order both the bibimbap and the soup-2 big bowls for 4,000W (a little less than $4!). Actually, it's normally 3,000W but I think because we were all foreigners they charged us more. After dinner we headed over to HomePlus Express to get some snacks for our evening discussion. We had our group meet to talk about our adoption searches and where we are all at. After our discussion, we went out to enjoy the university's festival. Later, we went to the student union and went to a dance. One of our friends from ET was one of the DJ's at the dance, so that was fun.
Captain Sailor Moon MCing for the Farewell Party


Friday: Classes were canceled again! :) Jenny and I went to lunch on campus and then went to get some ice cream. I worked on a special project to give all of the people in our program. I had class with my students. In the evening, we went out to the festival again. 

Saturday: I went for a run off of campus. Emily, Maren, Jenny and I went to the teachers cafeteria for lunch and it was Emily and my favorite meal! They had the 'boxed kimbap'-rice, cooked kimchi, radish, seaweed, and egg. After lunch Jenny, Emily and I went to climb the mountain behind BioTech. I worked some more on the special project outside. In the evening, we went to get ice cream and then watched Tangled in my room.  
Emily, Jenny and me!


Sunday: I went to church and then met Emily and Jenny at our kimbap restaurant. We went shopping so I could find something for my host family. I was meeting them in the evening and it was our last meeting. I ended up getting them a small journal so they could record special family events and memories in it. I sat outside for a bit and was joined by quite a few different people passing through. Hans was dropped off by his family who visited him. He had a traditional Korean snack for us called "약밥" (약= medicine 밥=rice). It tasted pretty good-it looked and tasted very healthy! His grandma had made a whole bunch of them for him. 


My host family picked me up and took me to their home. We had a GIANT pizza (45 cm!), japchae (Korean noodle dish), and a salad for dinner. We had watermelon for dessert-it was so sweet! They gave me a going away/birthday present too. I received a beautiful dress and several pictures of me with their family. They bought me shoes to go with the dress I guess, but didn't know my shoe size so they are going to get the shoes to me later. We traded contact information and then it was time to go back to ET. 
Hansy unwrapping the "yakbap"

Yakbap!

Some friends enjoying the yakbap outside! (L to R: SeungBae, Milan, Tim, Jiwon, Inseok, and SungMin)

Host Sister and Brother with the giant pizza



Monday: Happy Memorial Day to friends and family at home! It was kind of strange not to celebrate this holiday!


I went to lunch with my friends Jeong Kwan and Jeong Su. We went to the kimbap restaurant. Jeong Su was so nice and paid for lunch. Then we went for ice cream at Baskin Robins and he paid for that too. After lunch I sat outside and talked with Ben until cooking class (Ben is leaving on the 1st). In cooking class, we made japchae. It turned out so good! Emily and I went to the gym to work out for a little. In the evening Ki, Tim, Emily and I went to the Makgoli place. Ben joined us a little bit later. We shared a lot of laughs, but also had some very serious discussion. It was nice to be in a small group to share. Afterward, we went to "the spicy kimbap place". Recently Ki and Tim stumbled upon a little hole in the wall restaurant on the main strip off of campus. They went in and ordered kimbap and it was so delicious and spicy they talked about it for days. So, we went to experience it, and it was really nice!
Ice Cream with Jeong Kwan and Jeong Su!

The japchae Emily and I made...last dish!!
Kimchi Cheon...the last piece in the shape of a heart!!

TABLE 8!! NO WAY!

Excited for spicy kimbap!! (L to R: Ben, Emily, Tim, me and Ki)

Today: Language class was really difficult to get through for some reason...in the afternoon I did some work and had my class. I stayed a little bit longer and just talked with them. I really enjoy working with them. It is more fun than work. :) Tonight, we will go out to celebrate Ben's last night in Korea. We are all going to miss him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment