Friday, February 25, 2011

Last Day in Seoul

Today was my last day in Seoul! I had a hard time deciding what I was going to do, but I ended up picking a museum to visit. I went to the Seoul Museum of History-I had never been there and I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot about the history of Seoul and some general background on Korea as well. After the museum, I wandered around the area and found a Buddhist temple and took some pictures there. I was still early for meeting up with Hwa Sun, but I walked towards the subway station anyway. I found a (chain) bookstore and popped in and was easily amused with the children's section-Korean workbooks and books. :) Then a short subway ride to meet up with Hwa Sun and Jaebin. We stayed at her home for about an hour and then left for the restaurant. It was a restaurant I had been to with the Kim's four years ago, but at a new location. We were later joined by Hwa Sun's husband, Mom, Dad, and sister-in-law (her younger brother's wife) and her baby, Chin-oh. We had bulgogi and Korean noodles. After dinner, Hwa Sun, her husband and Jaebin walked me to the subway and now I'm back at the guest house. The doorman (around 70 years old or so) at the guest house is sooo sweet! He does not know much English, but does a very good job trying. He gave me a package of some rice cake 'cookies' and gave me a big hug and kiss goodbye-his shift is done at 6 AM and I'm leaving around 9:45. I told him I was coming back in June and he was happy about that. When I came into my room I noticed there is a new heater; a few minutes after I came upstairs there was a knock on my door. The doorman wanted to make sure I knew how to use the heater. **It was very cold today!!**

I have everything mostly packed for my trip to Inje tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about navigating with all of my luggage, but I have a pretty good idea of where I am going. The next stage in this trip is about to begin! 

Really cool gigantic model of Seoul!

Shoes!! Love them at any century! ;)

Sitting on a replica of the King's throne in the museum

Dinner with the Kim family! Back row: Hwa Sun, me, Mr. Ryu, Chin-oh, and Ki Yuk's wife; front row: Mrs. Park, Mr. Kim, and Jaebin

2 comments:

  1. did the Seoul History Museum have exhibits in English?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exhibits were mostly in Korean with a short caption giving the title to items. However, there were tons of computers all over the museum for extra information on many displays and there was an English language option!

    ReplyDelete