Sunday, February 27, 2011

First Day at Inje

Today was the first day waking up in the dorms! I was told by the young woman who picked me up at the train station that there was an orientation for me at 10. I went to look for the room she told me about, but no one was there. The guard/front desk guy told me in broken English there wasn't anything scheduled for today. So, I waited around anyway and then went walking around Kimhae. It started raining, and unfortunately I forgot my umbrella at home. I wasn't able to find any shops selling umbrellas either-many restaurants and shops were closed, and I think it is maybe because today is Sunday. I was about to turn around and come back to the dorms when I spotted several church steeples nearby and I decided to see if I could find a church. Two of them didn't seem too promising from afar, but the third had a giant stone Jesus statue. The first two were small buildings and didn't seem Catholic. When I got to the last one, I saw the church schedule and there were services every day posted (that seemed on the right track), there were stained glass windows which also seemed right, and finally I noticed people bowing (the service list showed a mass at 11-and it was 10:50!) as they went into the church area-I stepped over so I could see what they were bowing to and I saw it was a statue of the Holy Family. I figured I had found my Catholic Church! As I walked in, I was handed a church bulletin and at the top I saw the word "Catholic"-I was so relieved! The Mass was hard to understand, but enjoyable too. 

After Mass, I walked back to the dorms. I was just hanging out here when there was a knock on the door. My roommate had arrived. Her name is Jung Yoon. She lives in a city I've never heard of about an hour away from here. Her parents were here to help her unpack her things. After about an hour or so, she said that since her vacation wasn't over yet, she was going home and would return on Tuesday. I studied my Rosetta Stone program after she left, and then took a nap. It is about dinner time now, but I'm not sure if I want to venture out in the cold and rain without an umbrella!

No comments:

Post a Comment